Episode 1: Jason Clinkscales
So I decided to start an(other) podcast this week. There’s no audio trail left of them, but a few years ago I did try to do a podcast here, a podcast there, I even chatted with Rik Cordero once, which proves that namedropping is for the inferior.
In short — and because I go a bit in depth into it on the podcast itself — I’m trying to scour the world to talk to different sports personalities — or just personalities, beggars can’t get choosers — and get a feel for their careers, and the sports in their city.
This week, I’m honored to talk to Jason Clinkscales, also known as A Sports Scribe. He is co-host of The Exchange podcast, a frequent contributor to The Sports Fan Journal, and covers the New York Giants for the New York Beacon.
We dive into Jason’s writing career, how he got started, talk about the Giants-Jets dynamic in New York, discuss the bandwagon effect and the branding of the Brooklyn Nets; I get my mandatory ten minutes per podcast about Jeremy Lin and send shots over at Memphis Bleek, please don’t tell him.
Streaming link up top, download link below this, and if you want more information on some of the stuff we discuss on the podcast, I’ve included show notes and links at the very bottom.
Right-click to download the podcast
1. Jason mentioned a few sites that you should check out: The Perpetual Post and Norman Einstein’s. Both have some great writers and, surprisingly, some great writing.
2. We talked briefly about Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, here’s a piece by Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego on “What if Bolts kept Eli instead of trading for Rivers”.
3. Jason thinks Giants general manager Jerry Reese doesn’t get enough credit, this ESPN feature agrees.
4. Jason reads a lot. It’s a one podcast sample size though. Books that he mentioned and recommends: “Namath: A Biography” by Mark Kriegel, “No Logo” by Naomi Klein and “Just Ballin’: The Chaotic Rise Of The New York Knicks” by Frank Isola.
5. Jason’s favorite Memphis Bleek song: Round Here. Mine: Dear Summer. It’s on his album so I credit it as a Bleek song.
6. We mention Jason Whitlock and how much he makes. He makes this much.
7. Read about the Linsanity that Frank Isola was spreading when Jeremy Lin’s offer sheet was not matched this past summer. Also worth reading: this recent interview with Lin by Adrian Wojnarowski, where he opens up about his own rise and discuss the impact of race in the league, and how it applies to his story.
8. Two pieces relevant to what we discuss at the end: The Return Of Ewing Athletics and a profile on John Strickland. Surprise, I wrote them both. Self plugs are great.
9. Opening song “The Symbol” by Action Bronson. You can download his new mixtape produced by The Alchemist “Rare Chandeliers” at his website here. Closing song “Pyrex” by Sean Price off his new album “Mic Tyson”.
10. Thanks to @jonsavant for editing the podcast, @bouncex3 for the podcast logo, and @asportsscribe for coming on to talk sports.
Honored to be the first guest. For the love of (insert deity here), I hope I didn’t cause this to become The Bill Belamy Show of podcasts.